BBCF Athlete Shoutout ! 1/25/13
This time our athlete shoutout goes to a guy that proably needs no introduction. A guy that lives the BBCF lifestyle and shows it through his continued efforts to help everyone around him regardless if they are new to the box or seasoned athletes. His upbeat, talkative and supportive attitude is contagious and through his hard work this past year he has made some significant gains.
Mike Smith and i have known eachother since the 6th grade and if you know how old we are you can agree that was a LONG time ago. What i remember of Mike back then is that he is not much different than he is today, he’s just a stand up guy. A real honest and respectful individual that cares about friends as much as he cares about his own family. He never changes regardless of who he is around and to me that shows great character. I’ve always respected Mike and i am very honored that after so many years we have come full circle and he is back in the box training ! Over this past past year i have seen Mike or “Smitty” come in the box day after day, week after week working hard all while supporting his fellow boomboxers. He stays postive and always looks on the bright side. He is there when any of us need him, racking our weights or whatever. Most of all he is a GREAT FATHER ! For all this and more he earns and deserves this BBCF Athlete Shoutout ! Keep it up Smitty and thank you for being you, it’s not often we meet people with your character and integrity……
1. When did you start Crossfit and what made you choose BoomBox? I started CrossFit exactly 1 year ago today! I chose BoomBox over other boxes because of Eric’s passion for the sport. I’ve been friends with Eric since the 6th grade.
2. Favorite WOD/ movements?
WOD- 1000 M row then 50 brupees with 7:00 time cap. – J/k. I’m glad I was able to complete “Murph” in under an hour.
Movement – ball slams
3. What is one of your Crossfit goals of 2013? To be more efficient with all my movements (pull ups, cleans, snatches, etc). To be able to do bar muscle ups and regular muscle ups.
4. If you could tell other athletes one thing you have learned so far in your training, what would it be? Make sure to eat the proper foods before coming to class and doing the WOD. Our bodies need the fuel to burn to function correctly.
5. What is your favorite music to WOD to? Pandora radio. Not too picky! I love all types of music.
6. What do you like to do outside of the box? Enjoy snowboarding, bodyboarding, and playing poker.
7. Any embarrassing WOD stories? When we were still in Eric’s garage I was doing pull ups with the bands and Brookelyn saw another athlete doing them without a band and she called me a wuss. I used this as motivation to get stronger.
8. Why didn’t your football team make it to the Superbowl (LOL!!!)?
My team the Saints didn’t have their regular head Coach because of the bounty scandal. It showed that without there normal leadership the team didn’t play as well as a team.
15:00 hang snatch practice up to moderately heavy weight
15:00 to establish a Max Effort 3-position snatch (hi-hang / above knee / floor)
A. For time:
15 power snatch 115/75
30 wall balls
12 power snatch 135/95
30 wall balls
9 power snatch 165/115
30 wall balls
*May be a power snatch, full snatch or split snatch.